PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU (DEFENCE WING)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
INCOMPLETE BORDER ROAD PROJECTS
New Delhi: Phalguna 19, 1936
Tuesday, 10 March 2015
73 roads are identified as strategic Indo- China border roads (ICBR), out of which 61 roads have been entrusted to Border Roads Organisation (BRO) with a length of 3410 km which were to be completed by 2012.
Out of 61 ICBRs with BRO, 19 roads of length 625 km have been completed and connectivity has been achieved on 24 roads. The revised completion schedule for 42 ICBRs is as under:
2015 : 16 roads
2016 : 13 roads
2017 : 9 roads
2018 : 2 roads
Beyond 2018 : 2 roads
There are certain delays in execution of road projects mainly due to the following reasons:
- Delay in Forest/ Wildlife clearance
- Hard rock stretches.
- Limited working season.
- Difficulties in availability of construction material.
- Delay in land acquisition.
- Due to natural disaster such as flash flood of Leh 2010, J&K flood in 2014 and earthquake in Sikkim in 2011, resources are diverted.
: 2 :
Government has taken following measures to expedite the pace of road projects:
- Chief Secretaries of various State Governments have been requested to constitute Empowered Committees under their chairmanship with Secretaries of concerned departments as members to resolve issues related to land acquisition, forest/ wildlife clearance, allotment of quarries etc.
- Ministry of Environment & Forest (MoEF) has given the General Approval under section 2 of forest (conservation) Act, 1980 for diversion of forest land required for construction/widening of roads entrusted to BRO in the area falling within 100 kilometers aerial distance from the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and for link roads between Border Roads in the area within 100 kilometer aerial distance from the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and National Highways/ State Highways/ Other roads subject to certain conditions.
- Outsourcing has been allowed to augment capacity of BRO.
- Long Term Roll On Work Plan (LTROWP) and Long Term Equipment Plan (LTEP) has been approved.
- Enhanced financial and administrative powers have been given to the executives of BRO.
This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shri Naresh Gujral in Rajya Sabha today.