- On June 7, Headlines Today reveals two letters written by Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne to the Defence Minister AK Antony on the issue of non-implementation of the Supreme Court’s order in the RANK PAY CASE. These letters were written in January & May 2013, but they failed to evoke any real response. In fact, our request to MoD’s Directorate of Public Relations & Ex-Servicemen Welfare Department for formal response/informal understanding, also went unanswered. Original report aired on the evening of June 7, 2013 followed by a discussion: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/air-chief-shoots-letter-to-antony-over-maltreatment-to-war-heroes/1/279029.html
- My piece which appeared in the Mail Today news paper and India Today Online on June 8, 2013 available here: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/armed-forces-defence-ministry-selective-implementation-sc-rank-pay-case-verdict-india-today/1/279034.html
- On June 8, we took the report further. The Retired Defence Officers Association (RDOA) informed us about them issuing a CONTEMPT notice as a precursor to CONTEMPT petition in the Supreme Court to the ex-Defence Secretary and present CAG Shashi Kant Sharma, Financial Adviser (Defence Services) Priti Mohanty, Secretary, Department of Expenditure RS Gujral & Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA) Arunava Dutt. Watch our report and discussion on the same, here: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/war-veterans-supreme-court-cag-shashi-kant-sharma-ministry-of-defence/1/279190.html
- The weblink for the same: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/supreme-court-rank-pay-ruling-cag-defence-bureaucrats/1/279200.html
- In the afternoon on Monday, June 10, my Deputy Editor & colleague Shiv Aroor informed me about the information that one of his top sources had provided him with. ‘The MoD was going to act based on this report,” he was informed. Thus, this article on June 11 in the Mail Today newspaper and India Today Online:
- Article available on India Today Online too: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/mod-promises-to-offer-immediate-remedial-steps-in-rank-pay-case/1/279499.html
- Subsequently, through other quarters, I learnt that Antony had sought a meeting of the top brass of his ministry on June 14 on this specific issue. The 45-minute long meeting did happen and the otherwise quiet MoD ‘sources’ got activated and information, for the first time, started flowing. My report on this was published on India Today Online and Mail Today newspaper today. The link: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/ministry-of-defence-ak-antony-rank-pay-matter-attorney-general/1/280281.html
This issue is far from getting sorted. However the India Today Group’s persistence in first revealing the muck and then pursuing the matter must not be lost on those who wonder why the MoD suddenly woke up to the Rank Pay case this week.